Wednesday, April 4, 2012

AAYL I declare the following truths at the age of 3


A lazy day spent waiting, always waiting. Another trawl through the archives. This entry impressed me. It's nothing magnificent in grammar or style. However, some of these memories I still have. Ok, caveat, all the memories I still have, but some of the memories I regularly think about. 


I was born in Albany. I was lucky to leave when I still had my youth. When I visit the town I can last about two days before I have to go again. Everything that follows originates from Albany. 


**************************


Monday 14th of July
When I was three, maybe four I accidentally shut myself in the kitchen cupboard, early in the morning before anyone else in the house was awake. There was just enough space for me to be stuffed in between the door and the shelves. I remember thinking I was going to be stuck in there forever. That's my earliest memory. For a while I thought it was the image of a white cake with a big red five on it. One Christmas Eve, my family went out to visit relatives. When we came home the Christmas tree had twice as many presents underneath it. I was amazed that this had happened. It took me many years to realise that there could be more than one key to the front door and that somebody else besides from my parents would have access to it. I remember going with my brother to see my first film. The movie was Masters of the Universe. We were standing outside the cinema, which was actually the old town hall in Albany, and I couldn't get my head around the fact that it was a movie. I thought it was going to be a theater play. In year one, during recess, I saw a boy from my class clicking his fingers. I asked him how to do it, he told me to see another boy who would show me. That boy did and I haven't stopped since. One night a baby-sitter was looking me after. I was trying to rewind a tape to record The A-team. I kept getting angrier and angrier that in the brief moment that I pushed rewind the tape didn't instantly forward to the start. I know I liked The A-team very much but I can't remember one thing from it, not even Mr. T. One day the kid from across the road came over. Wivus, our Australian terrier, attacked him. I remember him walking on top of the fence, blood spurting from the kid's ankles onto the driveway as I ran alongside with the dog. When driving in town my mother and I pull up to a give-way sign. I'm scared stiff until the car starts again, worried that I might have to give away some of my stuff. When alone with my brother I'm completely in fear of him until Matthew finally leaves home. Wivus the dog dies of cancer, we're in the lounge room and everyone in the family is overcome with grief. Dad accuses me of feeling nothing because I’m not crying. I remember being very detached from this life as it unfurled around me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment